[Noisebridge-discuss] Know GIMP? Know Inkscape? Want to host a class?

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 02:31:15 UTC 2011

As far as I know, the concepts you list more to do with compositing, not so
much with making your images look their best.

For the latter I would start with cropping (which is mostly about a few
concepts of design rather than technical skills), then adjusting color and
value range (curves/levels and color cast correction), then sharpening and
other sorts of filters to improve overall image quality.

After that (getting an introduction to layers in the process) to cover
selections and paths which give you the means to apply some of the above
techniques to specific portions of the image.

Although I sort of know how to do the second portion of stuff, it is very
tedious for me and I could probably use some help / hints.

----------

For the approach, I want to hint that going back and forth learning a little
and practicing a little with guidance on examples might be the better way.
Because in recent intro to Blender workshop at Noisebridge I got a great
sense of what the software could and should do for me but when I tried it
myself I got lost and frustrated at that point and dropped it. Sometimes
interaction with the teacher helps in a small group but sometimes it is not
enough, maybe depending on how much you know to start with and if you are
used to a different style of approach (such as experience with the Photoshop
way not like the Gimp way). In the Blender case I knew nothing to start with
if that makes any difference, but in some other circumstances it has been
more of the other sort of confusion (in Science / Computing) which has
sometimes interfered with learning from others -- where I think there has to
be more back and forth sharing/ cooperation rather than teacher/ student
orientation)

Brian