[Noisebridge-discuss] Prevent Diarrhea

Just Duncan justduncan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 01:10:23 UTC 2011

ARRRGGHHH!!   Forget the flowers--  After several days of the severe runs
last week and CONTINUING to clean back-splashed fecal matter from the
toilets in greater frequency, I'm trying-- apparently unsuccessfully thus
far-- to prevent/contain an outbreak of illness here at Noisebridge.  Rather
than action or volunteering to help solve the problem, all I seem to be
hearing about is the goddamn flowers.  The flowers don't cause diarrhea, but
they do foster the vectors that do.  It's the diarrhea, folks, DIARRHEA.
The problem is pathogens in fecal matter causing diarrhea, NOT flowers.

Dysentary, per se, is not the only bacteria to cause
gastroenteritis/diarrhea, nor the only pathogen found in human feces.  Other
more likely ones include salmonella, enterovirii, Norwalk virus (a
norovirus), camphlyobactor, E.coli, crytosporidium, coliforms, and
coliphages. Fruit flies transmit pathogens in fecal matter
(1)<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1169043/>, including E
coli <http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/full/65/1/1>.   Flowers attract fruit
flies (see 7th bullet point under the "CLEAN" section
here<http://www.infobarrel.com/Getting_Rid_of_Fruit_Flies>).
By analogy, rodents don't transmit the Black Plague, but the fleas that
loved to hang out with rodents did.

I am BAFFLED why Noisebridge folks seem to refuse to want to address
problems when they are small and PREVENT them.  FOCUS, PLEASE:  THIS IS NOT
ABOUT FLOWERS OR SIGNS.  IT IS ABOUT PREVENTING A PUBLIC HEALTH PROBLEM BY
BEING RESPONSIBLE, *NOW*.

But wait, this is Noisebridge, where the decision-making is not only
consensus process based, but-- as it seems to me based on recent events--
crisis management driven.  Let me put this another way:  Would we, as a
group of individuals, prefer to step up and prevent an outbreak of
pathogen-based diarrhea (which can be life-threatening) ourselves?  Or
should we just ignore this health issue, focus on the importance of flowers,
and continue a *que sera sera* apathetic attitude... until the Department of
Public Health (or, worse, CDC) shows up to governmentally "solve" the
problem for us?  After all, we ARE technically preparing and serving food
publicly.  If we were a restaurant, I have no doubt that the health
inspection would close us down for neglecting ANY attempt to encourage or
enable the most basic steps of food safely, personal hygiene, and other
parts of the food preparation health code.

Personally, I just don't want the horrible, cramping, ill-feeling diarrhea I
had 10 days ago... nor do I want anyone else to experience them.  I clean
the toilets fairly regularly; trust me, empirical evidence suggests it is
still continuing.  I don't think this anywhere merits a 3-1-1 call, but the
silence on this from board members even is perplexing.  If no one wants to
deal with this but is willing to financially underwrite it, let me know and
I'll get it done.

Can we focus on the Feces and Fruit Flies, please?  Does it help if I point
out that this might well be something that could affect YOU?

THANK YOU, Noisebridge is excellent!  Let's work to keep it that way, ok?

Duncan