[Noisebridge-discuss] Lighting revamp

jim jim at systemateka.com
Tue Sep 13 02:44:13 UTC 2011

    Some work has been done re plans and such for electrical
usage.
    The existing fixtures each consume ballpark one amp or
a little more. Electronic ballasts can reduce this by 1/3
or so and cost about $30 each.
    There is some conduit already in place for wires for
switches. The thought is that controlling more localized
light when it's needed will in itself reduce cost (why turn
on lights for half the place if you only need light over
one table?
    The existing wiring is set up to power receptacles with
black wires and lights and appliances with red wires. The
idea behind this is that this is a hacker space, with the
likelihood that some people without experience will have
the balls to screw around with electricity, and having an
extremely consistent approach to wiring will reduce
problems and failures.
    In that "light" it's smart to keep circuits for lights
separate from circuits for power tools and other plug-in-
able stuff--if someone shorts a circuit while using some
power tool, it's good that the lights remain on.
    It's possible that a PG&E rebate may require the
participation of the building owner.
    It's possible that PG&E involvement may raise a
problem with one or more aspects of the electricity for
the space or the building.
    I have some tools and experience and hope to help.