[Noisebridge-discuss] Inkscape Tutorial Authoring Powow - SUCCESS!

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Wed Sep 14 18:40:57 UTC 2011

The noisebridge laser works well with inkscape except for in the places
where noisebridge's laser doesn't work well with anything at all (don't get
me started on mixing raster and vector operations on that thing!)

Also, I believe that Epilog lasers work fine with inkscape so long as you
define your document in inches first, then define your vector operations
with .01" lines.  This is what I used to do on the Techshop laser back in
2007.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Felipe Sanches <juca at members.fsf.org>wrote:

> Awesome!
>
> Also it is worth mentioning that Lasersaur, the libre-hardware laser
> cutter that is currently beeing developed and will soon be released as
> a libre DIY kit (in a similar manner as the MakerBot kits) uses a
> web-based interface that accepts SVG uploads from users to cut/engrave
> things.
>
> The freedom issue with the EPILOG laser cutters is that they use a
> "printing setup" interface for defining the power and speed settings
> and this interface is (a) proprietary (b) works only on MSWindows (c)
> does not work with Inkscape.
>
> It seems that Inkscape + LaserSaur will be a perfect match!
>
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Corey McGuire <coreyfro at coreyfro.com>
> wrote:
> > So I had a great group of people with me last night and I recreated my
> > former tutorial in pictorial form and Jill Myers took dictation.  This is
> > better tutorial because of their awesome questions, so I really need to
> > thank everyone for joining us.
> >
> > I now need to compile that all in to one document.
> >
> > At the moment, it's 127 screenshots long!  That may sound like a lot, but
> > this tutorial walks people through all of Inkscape's wonderful tools for
> > creating documents ready for cutting tools.  I captured every step, and
> if
> > you think about it in those terms, 127 steps is not a lot when it comes
> > making a physical object from an art program.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>