[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting notes 2011-09-13

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Thu Sep 15 00:32:30 UTC 2011

You're missing the point, I'm not advocating Jay, I'm simply blocking
any effort by our community to ban anyone who isn't already coming to
the space.

I'm sorry you feel I used my position as a moderator to prevent such
discussion. I don't feel the same, but I suppose that isn't the case
from your perspective. I would recommend you ask for me to not be a
moderator at future meetings.

I'm not volunteering to be an escort for others and would be just as
happy as anyone else to have jerks not be in the space. That being said
I still don't agree with Noisebridge as a group to ban people already
not allowed in the space, especially if the leave is voluntary.

If you're so adamant about this, you can either continue attacking my
stance here on the list, or why not ping Jay and see if he'd be willing
to break his voluntary leave from Noisebridge to possibly accept an
invite to a meeting where you'll like to propose and discuss banning him
from the space? Why not ask Leif or another member in good standing to
act as his proxy?

I understand your perspective, and I know you hang out in the space more
than I utilize it (or many of us who are vocal at the meetings), and
there are more people at Noisebridge who deal with the crazies and jerks
(myself being one of those) than I see, and I'm some pompous asshole
who's more or less grandfathered in being all influential with a booming
voice at meetings, but I still see banning as a last resort, and very
much would like the avoid that especially if the person in question
isn't even coming to the space.

Keep in mind I'm more than happy to have a valid discussion about why my
point of view is incorrect and to have my mind changed on why I would
want to block such a thing. What I honestly don't want to deal with is a
finger pointing name calling game on the list. Again, very willing to
discuss this with you off list.

Thanks for reading.

--
Rubin