[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting notes 2011-09-13

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Thu Sep 15 00:19:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> Rubin,
>
> I and others explicitly made a proposal at the meeting while Jay was in
> attendance.  I think most people who were there would agree that you used
> your position as moderator to prevent discussion of the ban, to the point
> that the note-taker said that the reason he didn't record the fact that I
> was making a proposal was because of you steering the discussion away.

To be absolutely fair, that was more in confusion, and I certainly didn't
get the sense from yesterday's meeting that Rubin was interested in anything
but the process. If Jay or you thinks Jay has a supporter in Rubin, that
seems to my mind extremely unlikely.

I think if you want this consensus item to work, I believe you need to
address a couple of issues specifically:
1) How to get Jay a representative for the discussion next week,
and 2) Whether a ban makes sense while he's already suspended.

My impression is that these are the sort of things that would generally be
objected to.

I think if you're trying to attain consensus in the belief that the primary
issue is that Rubin wants Jay back in the space, you're going to have
trouble, because a) Rubin really doesn't care that much about Jay getting
back in, and b) you'll have to deal with others  who would worry about a
lack of representation, and whether we should ban during a suspension, etc.

Getting consensus is very tricky, and a lot of people are very cautious
about setting precedents for a ban. If you want to go this way, I'd
definitely stop concentrating on Rubin as a single blocker, and scout out
whether other members of the space are happy with how this is going, and
what they would like.

Again, I'll say that it's not like *I've* spoken to anyone else about this,
so I'm just going on how this process has worked in the past, and the sense
I got in the meeting yesterday. This is one of the reasons why it's
important to attend all of the parts of the consensus process,  and why you
might want to consider giving this more time to get all the ducks in the
row.

d.