[Noisebridge-discuss] missing IBM model M keyboard from my shelf

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Fri Sep 16 19:50:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 2:15 AM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> Judging by the total silence I take it that my midi sequencer project has
> disappeared into the void along with the Carl Zeiss microscope, Miloh's
> macbook, and whatever else has been stolen from noisebridge recently.
>
> Or has anyone seen it?

That sucks if it's gone. (It sounds like the search is still on for Miloh's
mb)

Last time we had a rash of thefts, I tried to collate what actually went,
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/MissingStuff  but it turns out its very
hard to get people to report this stuff . My *guess* is that we get a bunch
of opportunistic thievery, and then it declines, then it starts up again.
But without any data, I can't tell.

I'm interested for solutions to this. The ones usually thrown up are:

1) Accept it as a fact of life in an open space
2) Increase the vigilance of new people somehow
3) Get theft insurance
4) Put cameras in so we can at least see stuff going and track it down
5) Put in some sort of more narrow, exciting tracking system, so you could
sticker stuff you didn't want stolen
6) Close the place to members only (and or) guests at certain times, open
the rest of the time
7) Close the place to members only + guests
8) Close the place to members only
9) Check people's asses as they leave
10) Bathe space in constant, semi-lethal x-rays
11) Commandeer mchawking as enforcement bot

I put this in rough order of popularity (I don't even know if it would be
possible for us to get theft insurance, but it might be possible. We might
have to change a bunch of things to do so though.)