[Noisebridge-discuss] listserve still eating messages beginning with "from"

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Sep 18 06:24:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> i read the discuss list at the weblink, instead of in my email.
>
> when someone posts a message with the word From at the beginning of a
> line, that message gets truncated from that line forward - even if it's at
> the beginning.  You can see it here:  (first message is empty, second
> message contains first message as quoted text, with > before lines start)
>

> https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-September/025056.html
>
> https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-September/025058.html
>
> someone said they knew what was causing this the last time it was pointed
> out (by me) but i guess it's still happening.

Fixing it probably requires patching Mailman / Pipermail. Not sure if it'd
be easy or not.

I think this is probably happening as an mbox-format mail archive is being
used at some point, or some code is parsing mails as such. That format
stored mails as a bunch of concatenated message header/body sections,
separated by a "From: " header at the beginning of each message.

Presumably, it hits this line and thinks the message is over. What an
archaic bug.

--j