[Noisebridge-discuss] missing IBM model M keyboard from my shelf

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Sun Sep 18 16:49:10 UTC 2011

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>> I hope people will keep trying to develop some better security.
>>
>> It is discouraging to good people trying to do good things to have their
>> stuff disappear or get trashed.
>>
>> This will discourage good people from doing good things in the space.

Really pleased to see this discussion happen, and I will add another
+1 for members-only.

I still don't understand why folks who know better than to connect a
valuable resource to the internet without a firewall still have no
problem with a wide open space at 18th & Mission.

I've talked to several people -- GOOD people -- that NB is losing
because of this. And note the excellence of the folks in this thread.
You've pretty much lost me: every one of my physical contributions to
the space has been either stolen or trashed. (I'm not angry: these
were experiments in communality, but the results speak for
themselves.)

NB is awesome and I'd love to support it, but why should I care about
Noisebridge if Noisebridge doesn't care enough to take care of itself?

This being NB, a members-only rule is not going to get a Fascist
"PAPERS PLEASE" enforcement, people will still wander in. What this is
is mostly a handy way to let people know Noisebridgers are taking
responsibility for the space. Ideally drop-ins would need a member to
vouch for them, meaning newcomers know they would be watched, and
sketchy people would be easier to eject: "sorry, this is a
members-only space."  This might even improve the experience of
visiting NB for the first time, as a vouching member would actually
have to interact with the newcomer.

Please let's just try this, heck, I would even join as a member, and
not just pay dues (as I haven't been doing lately).