[Noisebridge-discuss] missing IBM model M keyboard from my shelf

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sun Sep 18 18:31:52 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 09:49:10AM -0700, Jonathan Foote wrote:
> I still don't understand why folks who know better than to connect a
> valuable resource to the internet without a firewall

... actually, that is not true ...

> still have no problem with a wide open space at 18th & Mission.

... and your putative contradiction is also false.

The machines I use on a regular basis -- and am very confident in the
security of -- are all connected directly to the Internet, no firewalls
necessary.

I'm careful to run services that I trust the security of.
(Equivalently, I use Noisebridge in ways that are not generally
vulnerable to its failure modes).

I offer services to the Internet in ways that I am conscious are
possible to abuse.  (Equivalently, I donate time, effort, and materiel
to Noisebridge conscious of the fact that my donation may be abused,
destroyed, stolen, used to create art I find distasteful, or otherwise
misused.)  Sometimes I get burned by abusers of the services I offer
freely.  Mostly it's a net positive, though.

I agree that Noisebridge has a problem as it currently stands; it sounds
like a lot of cool stuff has disappeared lately, more so than
previously.  But please don't argue from false assertions to advance
your argument. :)

-andy