[Noisebridge-discuss] missing IBM model M keyboard from my shelf

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sun Sep 18 19:47:47 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 9:49 AM, Jonathan Foote <jtfoote at ieee.org> wrote:

> > On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>>
> >> I hope people will keep trying to develop some better security.
> >>
> >> It is discouraging to good people trying to do good things to have their
> >> stuff disappear or get trashed.
> >>
> >> This will discourage good people from doing good things in the space.
>
> Really pleased to see this discussion happen, and I will add another
> +1 for members-only.
>
> I still don't understand why folks who know better than to connect a
> valuable resource to the internet without a firewall still have no
> problem with a wide open space at 18th & Mission.
>
> I've talked to several people -- GOOD people -- that NB is losing
> because of this. And note the excellence of the folks in this thread.
> You've pretty much lost me: every one of my physical contributions to
> the space has been either stolen or trashed. (I'm not angry: these
> were experiments in communality, but the results speak for
> themselves.)

Though, to be fair, in the poll I took of people last year, nobody mentioned
lost stuff among the things they didn't like about the space (which was more
likely to be mess, people sleeping, or drama). And quite a few people
mentioned the openness as a reason why they *did* like the space. I strongly
suspect that if you keep something in the space and lose it, you are
disinclined to return: it's just not that everyone is chased off by this.

I also really don't like the GOOD people are leaving the space meme. I've
heard this since I first threw myself into NB, and it's sort of
unquantifiable as there are a stream of GOOD (but different) people who also
turn up. I'm not entirely sure how much we should be altering our behaviour
to align with third parties who no longer wish to be involved; I am always
interested to sit down and talk to people who have left and ask them
directly, but in my experience their actual reasons get fairly mangled by
the time they go through other people. Much of the organizational challenge
of NB right now is because a lot of the early members have moved on, but
left no real processes or explanations for others to take over their roles.
That said, a strongly allied point is about preventing people who  currently
wish to be involved from burning out, and returning people coming back,
taking one look, and then backing out slowly once again.

d.