[Noisebridge-discuss] missing IBM model M keyboard from my shelf

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 19:55:08 UTC 2011

I think a firewall would be a great solution for noisebridge.

As in, a literal wall of fire.

I'm not familiar with the technology behind putting up an alert system in
the noisebridge doorway, but if someone has a concrete plan and wants to do
it, I'll listen to what you propose. Doorbot could be hacked for great
amusement to us all, especially to announce the comings and goings of
unaware folks whose backpacks were tagged when they weren't looking. I'm all
for it.

In specific response to:

"If someone new tries that shit, and accelerates their attempt at departure
upon setting off the beepers, ITS ON.
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/File:IMG_0293.JPG"

I won't personally chase people running out with someone else's stuff if an
alarm goes off, even with a mob of other people at my side. I would 1. never
catch up, 2. get my ass handed to me if I did. It's not fair to set this up
with the intention that other people will risk their own health for
someone's laptop or the space's microscope. I would be upset if someone ran
off with a makerbot and REALLY upset if someone ran off with my laptop, but
I wouldn't ask anyone to wrestle with an untrustworthy person and risk
getting stabbed or beaten up for an ultimately replaceable object. It's
harder to say that about personal computers and losing data you can't
replace (plus $$ out of pocket replacement), but I can't make other people
take responsibility for my shit and risk injury. I'm selfish and don't want
to carry that guilt if someone got hurt. =P

It's great that the last time a guy stealing someone's phone was confronted,
he was overpowered by a mob of people and had no weapons and was basically
scared shitless, from the story that was told. It can happen. I'm not going
to take that risk or expect that just because a buzzer sounds, a mob of
people will leap into action to save my phone. It's up to the individual to
take that course of action, but I've been at the space on very un-crowded
nights where if someone ran out the door and a buzzer went off no one would
be in any position to catch up or even see who left.

At best, the alarm would scare the person. The person would instinctively
run. You'd lose whatever they had taken. If it scared that person enough or
enough people saw that person's face and that person knew it, at best they
would never come back and do it again.