[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting notes 2011-09-13

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Tue Sep 20 04:54:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:18 PM, gnnr <gnnrok at gmail.com> wrote:

> If we are certain of what was taken or damaged and by whom, could we
> request compensation for the
> amount it cost the space.  I don't think the community should have to bare
> the cost of destructive acts.
>
> Gavin

I interviewed both Jay and the only witness about all of this at some
length. Honestly, I tried my hardest to be Hercule Poirot about it with
tricksy questions, but really I couldn't get anything conclusive beyond a
protestation of innocence and a slightly blurry witness claim. In the end, I
couldn't, with the evidence in front of me, decide between the two points of
view. Jake has a pretty good description of a more damning, motive-based
take on the whole thing in an earlier email.

Which is actually by-the-by. The main thing that came out of the last time
all of this bannination happened was that the one thing that people cannot
work with at Noisebridge is when a) one person's view of what happens during
confrontattions doesn't match everybody else's, b) they seem intractable
when confronted, and when c) others are scared or feel threatened by that
person's presence in the space. All of those claims were made pretty
consistently by lots of people about Jay, people whose opinions I respect,
and I am sure will be happy to come forward at meeting (though do not often
speak on this list).

I think those are actually the criteria by which people are told not to
return to the space, and Jay reaches to that level. It's fortunately not
something where we need to dust for fingerprints or anything. There is
always a danger that it can just be a scapegoating action. Which is why we
have this slightly long-winded dance of the consensus ruling.

Not that it actually matters BECAUSE WE'RE JUST A HACKERSPACE, and people
have not yet died of being denied us.

Anyway.

d.