[Noisebridge-discuss] Web Based Services for Community/Citizen Participation in Decision Making Process,

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Wed Sep 28 18:35:03 UTC 2011

Hi,

* Asa Dodsworth <moped45 at gmail.com> [110926 22:23]:
> there is an interesting web based citizen polling program in
> Berkeley, it aims to engage the voters that cannot otherwise attend
> meetings. Elected's pose questions or resolutions, and the public
> is allowed to vote on them. But to pose questions to the public,
> elected and appointed commissioners must pay $240/yr [...] know of
> any products like this? Preferably ones with lower poll taxes [...]

Maybe LiquidFeedback [1] could be an option? Here's a test installation
open to the public: [2]. I hear the Pirate Party in Berlin [3] is using
LiquidFeedback a lot. Not sure if it'll work for your purposes, but
if you do look into it, please let us know what you find one way or the
other and how it compares to "OpenTownHall".

BTW, LiquidFeedback utilizes WebMCP [4], a web development framework
written in Lua which apparently uses a Model-View-Action (MVA) rather
than Model-View-Controller (MVC) concept. To be honest, I'm not entirely
clear on what all that means...but if this piques anyone's interest
enough to find out more, I'd be curious to hear about that as well.

[1] http://www.public-software-group.org/liquid_feedback
    Structured feedback is intended to organize communication between
    an initiative and the voters. Initiatives shall get an idea how
    successful a proposition is likely to be and what to change in
    order to gain more support. Likewise voters can try to influence
    propositions by their feedback or instigate a new initiative with
    an own proposition if they so wish.

[2] http://www.public-software-group.org/liquid_feedback_testing/
    Perform the following steps to create an account:
    1. Click "Registrierung"
    2. Enter the following invite-code: lqfb
    3. Enter your e-mail address
    4. Enter your name to be displayed to other users
    5. Enter your login name to be used to sign in
    6. You need to agree to the terms and conditions by clicking
       the checkbox labeled "Ich akzeptiere die Bedingungen"
    7. You need to chose a password.
    After login you may change the language to english.

[3] https://lqpp.de/be/

[4] http://www.public-software-group.org/pub/projects/webmcp/v1.1.1/documentation.html

Regards,

John