[Noisebridge-discuss] PLEASE READ: Laser Cutter Threat Model

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 03:58:45 UTC 2012

Well, for what its worth, its easy for people not in the know to use the
wrong material. I mean, I haven't used the laser cutter short of looking at
it one time to see what I helped buy (and got to see that someone, meaning
well, engraved my name on the donors plate in the same font and immediately
next to someone named "ted" such that it looks like my name is "taylor
alexanderted"), but I can say that even I have a box of material lying
around I got surplus from some old plastic shop and I can't quite recall
what all plastics are in there.

So if it really is possible to kill people by using the wrong plastic, it
makes the most sense to just properly ventilate it *and* prohibit dangerous
plastics. That way you're protected twice against idiots. Well, twice
against regular people. Once against idiots. And again, I use the term
"idiots" loosely as even somewhat smart people may not know what kind of
plastic they have.