[Noisebridge-discuss] 3d modeling software?

Michael Prados mprados at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 03:21:44 UTC 2012

Corey beat me to the punch a little bit there-

Some of us have been looking at FreeCAD at Noisebridge, a free and open
source CAD program that works much like Solidworks:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?title=Main_Page

We are having periodic meetings in conjunction with the Wednesday night
Noisebridge fab meetings to talk about FreeCAD, other open source 3d
modellers, and to do comparative study of all 3d modelling programs, so we
can better understand what tool is ideal for what task.  This Wednesday at
8pm we are going to do it again- among other things, we will have a demo of
Rhino, a popular proprietary 3D modeling program that would definitely be
of interest to people designing organic shapes for 3D printing.

-Mike

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Corey McGuire <coreyfro at coreyfro.com>wrote:

> Solidworks or FreeCAD
>

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Nicholas Granado <ngranado at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> there's a web based one i started using called tinkercad.com however
>> it's very toy-like.
>>
>> nick
>>

>> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com>wrote:
>>
>>> All youse 3-d printing peoples, what CAD software do you use to make
>>> your models in?  I am learning Blender, but it is not explicitly
>>> designed for this and I feel there could be something better for my
>>> purposes. I use a Mac but would emulate a Win program if necessary (I'd
>>> be surprised if the best 3-d drawing software ran on *nix).
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Rachel