[Noisebridge-discuss] PLEASE READ: Laser Cutter Threat Model

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 00:09:36 UTC 2012

On Apr 9, 2012 5:02 PM, "Will Sargent" <will.sargent at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So some of you may remember from the last meeting that Rayc moved the
laser cutter from the backroom to the front room, and set up a venting
system.  I vaguely remembered that a number of people were deeply paranoid
about setting up the system to vent correctly, and so I asked around.

> The threat model posed by the Laser Cutter and the reason it has to be
vented is not "laser cutter gives off stinky fumes."

> The threat model is "When used with the wrong substance, laser cutter
fumes can potentially contain cyanide gas that can kill everyone in the
room."

> http://www.atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials
>
> I asked someone from AMT to come by the space to check it out, and the
verdict is "I believe the current ventilation setup is fine for indoor
plywoods, acrylic, and natural materials however it is most certainly not
sufficient for anything toxic or chlorinated."

> So NO, IT IS NOT SAFE.
>
> Will.

A list of suitable materials was established when the LC first arrived.
Nothing that gives off cyanide chlorine (or phosphene) has ever been
acceptable to use.

Glad you're getting caught up.

-rma