[Noisebridge-discuss] Mitch Altman not welcome in Canada

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Aug 2 03:46:16 UTC 2012

Mitch!  I have had some of the same experiences.  my first interaction
with the cops was when I had hooked up a garage door opener to a microwave
oven transformer, and i used the output of the transformer to light off
fireworks from a safe distance.  The cops came to the house and asked if
my parents were home.  I lied and said no, and they left.

I have also been denied entry to canada a few times.  I have learned a lot
about the process.  The last time I went was specifically to find out Why
i wasn't allowed and what i should do about it, but it was still really
creepy.  When i got to the agent, the first thing he told me was that I
was not allowed to look at, wave to, or signal to in any way, the person
who I had come there with, who could have been my life partner for all
they knew.  You belong to us now.

The agent went over things on my record, including a conviction from 1996
which was expunged.  I mentioned that I thought that had been expunged (a
fact I had not mentioned the last time I was refused entry to canada, when
that was the only reason) and he went on to the other items.

He was not allowed to tell me certain things but i was able to guess and
he nodded confirmation.  I had told him that I was totally fine with being
refused entry but I just wanted to get information so i could clear things
up.  The other items were things I knew about, relating to false arrests
which I was suing the police over, and those things have now been expunged
too. ("simulated weapons of mass destruction" and "throwing missiles")

A few minutes into this, he touches his earphone and says "i just heard
back from the research department and they say your 1996 conviction was in
fact expunged, so it is no longer an issue."  Which was surprising to me
that they would honor an expungement, but apparently they did.

Since then I have been expunged on the other charges too, and i have fancy
paperwork (even something stamped) from those other states, which should
be enough next time i go to canada.  I was also told that one can go to
any State Police department and get a certificate of clean record, or
something like that, which is fancy stamped paper that says you have
nothing that isn't expunged on your record, and they take that at the
border.  It's annoying to have to go through this, but you can hardly
blame Canada considering how bad some americans are.  Unfortunately they
don't seem to understand that the Cool americans are the ones with the
arrest records!!!

As for the kits for sale there, that's a tough one.  I would recommend
having a letter from an important person or agency in Canada stating to
the border guards that you are invited and that the kits are part of a
class which has already been paid for, or something like that.. but
ultimately the canadian border is an unpredictable one.

looking forward to the day Borders are a thing of the past.  (the
bookstore too)

-jake

Martin wrote:
But you were 13 man!  Even Canada recognizes that any crime committed
before the age of Consent (16 in rural canada) is not a crime that can
follow you.  Much less for your whole life.

Sir, those wonderful Canadian Customs agents ... Done you wrong(tm).

-M