[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge and fiscal sponsorship

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 02:58:02 UTC 2012

Hello Noisebridge!

I have an item up for potential consensus, and wanted to get people's
initial feedback on it.   As some of you may know, I've been busy this year
starting up a makerspace   http://oaklandmakerspace.wordpress.com/  in the
east bay that is focused on bridging some gaps in STEM+AE (science,
technology, eng, math, arts, entrepreneurship).   We have a space, and we
are about to engage in kickstarter/indie go go fundraising.

Here's the deal:  we aren't incorporated yet, and don't have 501c3 status.
This is sort of a glitch when it comes to fundraising because it introduces
personal tax liability on one of us until our incorporation comes
through.   However, we have a sort of chicken+egg on doing the
incorporation since all of our funds are currently tied up in maintaining
rent for the space :).

One of the things we are looking at is a fiscal sponsor for the fundraising
process, and potentially thinking about noisebridge as a solution.   It
would mean that incoming funds would go into Noisebridge's account, to be
transferred at a later point once we get our paperwork through.
Noisebridge isn't the only potential fiscal sponsor we are looking at, but
it would be a natural fit for one successful hackerspace to help startup
another one :)

Look forward to your thoughts,
Love,
Praveen