[Noisebridge-discuss] let's get a TIG welder

jim jim at well.com
Sat Aug 18 18:19:34 UTC 2012

    Martin's invocation of "common sense" ought to
bear scrutiny (per Andy's warning wrt smoldering
scrap).
    Common sense at Noisebridge? Not a dependable
commodity.
    Also, working as a housepainter I developed
experience and skill using torches to remove paint.
sparks can lodge in cracks and smolder with no
evidence for hours. If the smoldering creeps, at
some point it will be exposed to air sufficient
to cause the entire smoldering area to burst into
flame: it seems like a bomb went off.
    I don't see why taking extra precautions is a
bad thing. Better overkill protection than a "problem".