[Noisebridge-discuss] Circuit Hacking Monday, Dec 3 2012, 7PM -10PM at Noisebridge in San Francisco

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 01:22:50 UTC 2012

Circuit Hacking Monday, Dec 3 2012, 7pm - 11pm

Next Dec 3, 2012, at Circuit Hacking Monday, I'm going to lead a
detour from the normal fare of kits and soldering, towards commodity
electronics and embeddded devices land.  let's focus on the strengths
of ddwrt and openwrt, get an over view of extant projects and
documentation, and see what interesting stuff we can find in openwrt
ddwrt's package managers.

I'm interested in this because even though it's been a year since I
first saw the wr703n (at 29c3), which is a tiny little box that just
uses the a common IC chip often found in routers without all the extra
space normally devoted to a four port switch.  It really has the same
functionality as routers that you can put openwrt or ddrwrt on, but
reduces size to about a 3"x3"x1".

I only know the basics about the subject, but I bet many folks at
Noisebridge have knowledge to share and know which devices to hunt for
for certain features. Can anyone come in next Monday with hacked
routers to show off?

Bring out your old routers and set them up to use again. If you have
spare, unused old routers, bring them in to donate for projects to
install at Noisebridge. I know this is kind of old stuff compared to
rpis and due's and whatnot, so bring in that new stuff also, if you
have it, but for this Monday

As always with Noisebridge events, this is free to all and everyone is
welcome.

-Ronald Miloh Alexander

references to the stuff i'm writing about above:

the openwrt project
https://openwrt.org/

example of a project:  mightyohm's internet radio project
http://mightyohm.com/blog/2008/10/building-a-wifi-radio-part-1-introduction/

wireless router firmware projects from wikipedia (donate to wikipedia!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wireless_router_firmware_projects

wr703n on dealextreme
http://dx.com/p/tp-link-tl-wr703n-mini-3g-2-4ghz-802-11b-g-n-150mbps-wireless-router-blue-158552

29c3