[Noisebridge-discuss] Lenovo X120e Re: need laptop recommendations

T t at of.net
Mon Dec 3 05:21:31 UTC 2012

Thanks to Ryan Rugles for bringing this up, since it's
useful to others too, like me.

$200 a pop, 60+ available, etched with a Madison school district logo
(that also looks like a Mensa logo)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X120E-0611-AH9-11-6-3GB-320GB-WiFi-CAM-Bluetooth-For-Charity-/140874778639

Came with Vista, badly cleaned, but running Mint 14 Cinnamon
64-bit quite well since Friday night off

This is a lot better than the similar-sized and very conveniently-sized
Gateway LT3103 I used to use- better keyboard, touchpad
*and* traditional thinkpad mid-keyboard joystick pointer and middle-
click button and reasonable screen, and dual-core 64-bit virtualization-
capable CPU.  This is definitely a good size- big enough for a comfortable
keyboard but small enough to not require a big laptop bag.  I think
this is my new workhorse.

Hi Ben.  Did look at the X220 is quite a bit more expensive- it
looks good but market price is 3X of this

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Ben Kochie <superq at gmail.com> wrote:
> The x120e is probably the only thinkpad I would not reommend.
>
> Get the X220, but be sure to get one with the IPS screen.  It's very worth
> it.
>
> On Oct 12, 2012 9:41 PM, "Ryan Ruggles" <ryanlruggles at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the info everyone.
>>
>> I am probably going to go with a Lenovo ThinkPad X120e. That seems
>> like a good combo of durability, portability, low price, and Linux
>> compatibility.
>>
>> Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Samir Faci <samir at esamir.com> wrote:
>> > If you're looking at ZaReason then you might want to look into
>> > system76 as well.  Both of them
>> > are very Linuxy laptops and imo you're paying a premium over a
>> > standard dell (insert favorite vendor here),
>> > but you get a laptop where you know that everything will work out of the
>> > box.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Samir

Best Regards.