[Noisebridge-discuss] New furniture

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 04:39:21 UTC 2012

On Dec 3, 2012, at 11:26 AM, rachel lyra hospodar wrote:

> He said 'please help find a new couch'
>
> To me this indicates that he believes my delivery of information comes
> along with some sort of obligation in getting involved in solving his
> problem.

Well, that's not what he said.  The quoted sentence is an imperative,
not an assertion, and the presence of "please" makes it a request
rather than a command.

> When I say 'his problem' I mean 'the fact of the couches being
> run-down,

I wasn't even talking about the issue of replacing the couches, but
the issue of keeping Noisebridge accessible to all, which I agree is
important (regardless of the tone with which you raised it).

> presented in his previous email as assumptive evidence of their
> obsolesence' which is not a statement of fact, even though it is
> presented
> as such.

My impression is that Dan was far more concerned with getting nicer
furniture than whether his opinion was accepted as fact or not.

> When I share some data relevant to a project you are working on,
> does that obligate me to also roll my sleeves up and help you
> revamp your
> project to accomodate that data?

Straw man, hypothetical, rhetorical.

> I am a social interaction research scientist.

Cool, can you say more about that?  What kinds of things have you
learned?

> You, josh, are less adept at
> social interaction (and the study thereof) than I am.

Based on what observations, if you don't mind my asking?

> The fact that you challenge my statement regarding this area of my far
> greater expertise, rather than submitting a query seeking
> clarification of
> your poor understanding

Oh wow.

> Is a great example of the type of arrogant assumption of knowledge,
> along
> with socially normalized dismissals, that typify 'mansplain' and the
> general dude-idiot behavior that people are always talking about.

Has rereading your message and seeing my reply altered your
perception of our respective social interaction skills?

> You know, on the internet?

I wonder what you mean by this.

Josh