[Noisebridge-discuss] media wiki data - export of old database to a new installation

Ronald Cotoni setient at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 18:29:07 UTC 2012

Yes, you would have to install mysql to see the data.  This was a cPanel
box so when you made the tarball, it included MySQL dumps so you do not
need to manually run mysqldump.  It shuld be in the mysql directory and
there is a few databases there.  I am not sure which one is the one you
need.

Additionally, you can take the files from the www directory, plop them
elsewhere, create the databases and import the data.  Poof your website is
up at a different location.

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Matthew Meier <wolfy at wlfy.it> wrote:

> You're on the right track. The pages of a MediaWiki are stored usually in
> a MySql database. If you look in your LocalSettings.php you can find the
> name of the database. Then use the mysqldump command to export the database.
>
> Once you have the dump. Import it into your new MediaWiki installation and
> run the Update script. "maintenance/update.php" and this will update your
> database to the new schema.
>
> -Wolfy
>

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Frantisek Apfelbeck <algoldor at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi to all,
>> I need to get the data which I had in my old media wiki (personal web
>> pages) to the new installation - I'm moving the content to a new server, my
>> friend Jim is taking thankfully taking care about that.
>>
>> I wonder how do I get to the data in the wiki? I have the tar file of all
>> the data which I had on the part of the server which I used (many thanks to
>> Ronald for hosting) and I see directories: etc; mail; perl5; public_ftp;
>> public_html; ssl; tmp; www. In a public_html I have found directory wiki. I
>> see images there which is good but I do not know where to find the
>> texts/data. I wonder if I have to install MySQL to be able to access these
>> data, my knowledge of databases is on a freezing point (which will have to
>> change soon). Also I wonder how difficult would it be to export the old
>> database (once I find it and access it) to the new media wiki installation?
>> I'm beginner in this so I'm quite lost feeling that I will probably have to
>> upload all the texts and images manually because it is too difficult for me
>> to do it the "easy way".
>>
>> Anyway any help would be really appreciated!
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck
>>
>> PS I'm now trying to install media wiki on a local computer so I can
>> exercise a bit and get better understanding of what I'm doing using this
>> guide
>>
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installation_guide
>>
>> biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker
>>

>> http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org
>>

>> "There is no way to peace, peace is the way." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Ronald Cotoni
Systems Engineer