[Noisebridge-discuss] Ember consultant gig, working with me

tedward arbzed at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 18:28:03 UTC 2012

Ari,

Are you *sure* you want to build it on ember?  Is it a requirement?  (I ask
because it sounds like you're just getting going on this project and might
not be locked into a client-side architecture yet.)

I built out a few views of a google-maps-oriented app in ember a couple of
months ago.  Then I tore it down and rebuilt the thing in backbone
(re-implementing a couple of ember-style features that I liked).  Ember
looks great on paper and it has some cool features to be sure (I really
like their state-machine routing and computed properties implementation).
 But when I actually stated developing it was pretty slow going.

The docs aren't very fleshed out yet, so you spend a lot of time reading
the framework code for ground truth, which is normal for a half-baked open
source project, but in this case the code is a bit obtuse, and it makes a
lot of assumptions about the way you'll want to do things that are buried
in layers of anonymous functions, so your stack trace isn't that useful.  I
was doing a lot of guessing about the developers' intent, only to prove
myself wrong.

Backbone, by comparison, makes fewer assumptions, surprised me less often,
and had posted the complete source code with comments that made the
developers' intent pretty clear, so ground truth was never far away.

*tldr;*  Tried ember.  Found it difficult to work with.  Started over in
backbone.  Much happier overall.

If you are still determined (or compelled) to use ember, I found this video
useful:  http://vimeo.com/37539737  Tom Dale goes into gory detail on how
the codebase is organized and how to deal with the cryptic ember stack
traces.

Cheers,
T.