[Noisebridge-discuss] How close do I need to get with amperage?

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Dec 21 11:29:48 UTC 2012

as it turns out, the most important point got overlooked - polarity.

Rachel didn't know whether power connectors go straight or... the Other
way, and in fact the power adaptor in question had the opposite polarity
of the appliance being powered.

the diagrams must match, or multimeter games must ensue to find out
whether things are wired the same way.  If you have an adaptor with a
connector that fits, but the polarity is backwards (the little diagram
with + and -) you could fry your device if you just "try it".

if you have the right adaptor except for the polarity, you can cut the
cable and swap the wires with each other, and tape it back up, but make
sure to label the cable so nobody believes the diagram on the original
nameplate anymore since you've reversed it.

you missed our x-ray presentation at 5mof, i thought you were all excited
about xrays.  Now we need a long-exposure camera (noisebridge DSLR?) for
taking more and more xray pictures.

-jake

John Withers wrote:

Rachel,

This isn't an issue. A device will draw what it needs. And even if you
had a very, very badly engineered device that somehow would draw enough
to blow it, the difference there is trivial and wouldn't hurt anything
anyway.

As long as the voltage matches you are fine.