[Noisebridge-discuss] How close do I need to get with amperage?

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 22:25:43 UTC 2012

Tl; dr - I didn't fry the amp, kids.

On Dec 21, 2012 1:27 PM, "John Withers" <jwithers at reddagger.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-12-21 at 03:29 -0800, Jake wrote:
> > as it turns out, the most important point got overlooked - polarity.
> >
> > Rachel didn't know whether power connectors go straight or... the Other
> > way, and in fact the power adaptor in question had the opposite polarity
> > of the appliance being powered.

More specifically, I wasn't clear on how to read the diagram, ie was it
supposed to match or be complementary. A dopey example, perhaps, of how
even the simplest diagram can be confusing. I would have been really sad if
I got this wrong a few weeks ago when I was building a new power supply for
my laptop.  Strangely, then I just winged it with a multimeter and my
common sense, and was fine. Trying to parse the diagram this time was too
much for me somehow.  Fortunately I am smart enough to have looked beyond
one hastily written email's incomplete advice.

> Gah. Yeah, okay, I was dim and might or might not be responsible for
> killing a perfectly good thing.

Hm, so incomplete advice gives you responsibility? Weird.

Was focused on the whole ma issue and
> didn't think about the bigger picture. A fairly common fault with my
> thinking on tech stuff.
>
> Rachel, my sincere apologies if I contributed incomplete information
> that caused damage to your thing.

Your email didn't actually say anything that andy's didn't, incidentally
more thoroughly.  I appreciate your attempt to help, but I have to admit I
found this strange mea culpa ... well... strange.  Overall I interpreted
your previous email as an attempt to establish an interaction between us
with a different tone than our most recent exchange.  I gratefully took it
as such, and ignored its (redundant and incomplete) content. So don't worry
about the amp. If you are worried about the tenor of our social
interactions we can talk about that.  Generally I think that kind of
friction, unaddressed, can contribute to later, equally confusing
interactions. Like this one.

But hey! Getting annoyed at people over the tone of their emails is so
2001.  I know I'm not annoyed in the least. I also know that we exist in a
culture that doesn't like to discuss social conflict, and so whenever
someone tries, everything gets all confusing and everyone thinks everyone
is upset.

So here is some more. In this email you try to take repsonsibility for my
potentially fried electronics.  This is probably an attempt to apologize
for what you are actually responsible for, as well as trying to reboot the
tone of our conversation.

All you are responsible for is a hasty email.

No, I am not 'annoyed' that you are worried about having 'caused' my amp to
be fried. It's touching, even while being really obnoxious.

I see this framing of your concerns as evidence of your systems of thought.
Systems I don't like.  You can run whatever OS you want but every time you
try to interface with me using Paternalism (even 2.0) you will get an error
message.  I am not expecting you to -poof- undo or rise above decades of
cultural programming.  I also don't expect myself to be silent about these
experiences when I have them, especially since I have this hypothesis that
enough sunshine will destroy these festering moldy pockets of yesteryear.
I expect you to probably be 'annoyed' or defensive about this message,
thinking that ZOMG you are *so* not paternalistic and what an obnoxious
ethics-101 concept to even drag out in the face of your attempted help and
then further attempted apology. I am happy to be disappointed in this. Nam
myoho renge kyo (everyone is capable of enlightenment), after all.  Even
paternalistic dudes with ominous neck tattoos.

And if any of you think this email is annoying? Pedantic? Over-reactive?
Whatever. If your thoughts and feelings here are relevant than mine are too.

R.