[Noisebridge-discuss] Church as the safe haven for being loud, whenever a class is not in session?

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 08:55:11 UTC 2012

Myself & others have been thinking of transforming the Church/kitchen/East
end of the space into a more happening spot, & have been starting to clear
out the clutter of disused objects out of there to that end of late.
Rob's friend has an offset printing press in working condition to donate to
the space, & I had thought of installing it in that area (between the DJ
booth & restrooms), if that actually materializes. There was a concern
about noise with the press, as well, which is why I thought that end of the
space would be best.
So, it's seems there is a confluence of thought in that direction....we'll
just see what happens first I guess....I'm all for change & rearrangement
every so often, to keep things from stagnating.
As a kid I'd move all the furniture around when my mum was at work, so
she'd come home in the eve & find the whole apartment switched around.
She'd complain, until she realized the new arrangement was better....

+11+

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Andrew Byrne <andrew at pachakutech.com>wrote:

> soundproofing the treehouse/djbooth will also prove whether or not beings
> are actually hacking on audio or just wanting to put their shit on others...
>
> I disagree entirely; isn't this supposed to be a solution for people who
> want to hear music as they work to not disturb those who want silence? Or
> maybe someone could better define the purpose of this effort.
>
> I think, however, that making a soundproofed room out of the DJ booth
> could be quite useful for practice/studio mixing/being loud.
>
> -AnB
>

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM, maestro <maestro415 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> i have suggested soundproofing the treehouse/djbooth multiple times in
>> the past and making a 'swing' shut window that can be opened when no
>> noise_noisebridgers are hacking or blasting things through speakers that
>> resemble a cat fucking while being slowly skinned with nailclippers...
>>
>> church, imho, is NOT a good idea as others may be in turing having class,
>> hacking on projects, and/or being in a quieter area of NB where they can
>> focus on things and/or just be away from fighting, violence, arguing,
>> attention whores, people that yell when they talk intentionally...
>>
>> and turing already has the dirty room and all it's badassery as an
>> 'active' neighbor...
>>
>> i get why you looked at church but it seems like the noise_noisebridgers
>> are already at the other end of the house where the big table is and
>> there's more space to set things up that won't have to be moved every time
>> people have regular classes...
>>
>> soundproofing the treehouse/djbooth will also prove whether or not beings
>> are actually hacking on audio or just wanting to put their shit on others...
>>
>> message ends
>>
>> ___________________________________________________________________________________________
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Robert "Finny" Merrill <
>> rfmerrill at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I've noticed that there is often a clash between people who like quiet
>>> and people who want to be loud (for whatever reason).
>>>
>>> This is usually an issue later in the night, as that tends to be the
>>> time which is attractive to both of those groups.
>>>
>>> I've been on both sides of this: I've been hacking on audio projects
>>> and found myself unable to do so because the necessary loudness was
>>> deemed unacceptable by other people in the space. I've also been
>>> distracted by people loudly socializing near the kitchen.
>>>
>>> So here's a thought: Move one of the two soundsystems into Church and
>>> make it the designated "safe place to be loud in noisebridge" whenever
>>> there is not a class in session. Note: This is not meant to imply that
>>> there are not reasonable limits on how loud one can be, nor is it
>>> meant to imply that the standards would change in any way for the rest
>>> of the space.
>>>
>>> Reasons why this idea came to mind:
>>> - Church's main entrance is around the corner from the rest of the
> [...]

*You should read my diaries after I die—I talk about you a lot in there.*