[Noisebridge-discuss] tDCS - call for collaboration

Jonathan Toomim jtoomim at jtoomim.org
Thu Feb 9 20:51:36 UTC 2012

I'm working on building a somewhat simple transcranial direct current
stimulation device. This is a machine which sends a small (~1 mA)
current through your brain. Such devices are currently (pun not
intended) being used for neuroscience research, and have been under
investigation for roughly the last decade. They have the ability to
enhance (anode) or suppress (cathode) neural activity in the nervous
tissue underneath the electrode by around 20 to 40%. Depending on where
you place the electrodes, this can have any of many different cognitive
effects, like improvements (or reductions) in working memory ability
(anode on left DLPFC;
http://www.frontiersin.org/human_neuroscience/abstract/22906).

tDCS is a new, powerful, and potentially dangerous technology, and as
such, should be used with caution, and probably shouldn't be used
without the supervision of a trained neuroscientist. I am a trained
neuroscientist.

I've got a design in mind for the electronics. (Op amp/MOSFET-based
current source controlled by the DAC on an MCU.) I could use help with
making the electrodes (wet sponges are commonly used), getting the
circuit off of a breadboard (I'd hate for a current-reducing resistor to
fall out during use), and potentially programming (either for the MCU or
for the PC control program/GUI).

Anyone interested? I'll be at NB today until around 6:15, and again
probably Saturday and maybe Sunday. I'm a short-haired redheaded dude.

Jonathan