[Noisebridge-discuss] A modest proposal.

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sun Feb 12 15:31:02 UTC 2012

On 02/09/2012 01:38 AM, Matt Joyce wrote:
> Problem:  Noisebridge has some security / personal safety issues.
>
> Definition of problem:  In what seems to be an escalating series of
> conflicts, many paying members and contributing community members have
> become concerned about their own safety.  In addition to that
> fundamental concern there is the more grandiose concern that the
> culture of Noisebridge and its community is suffering.
>
> Requirements to address problem:
>
> Members of noisebridge must feel safe at noisebridge.
>
> The culture of noisebridge with a specific eye towards the universal
> openness and acceptance of people in it's mission to share knowledge
> and expertise must be preserved.
>
> Solution Proposal:
>
> Close noisebridge at 11pm PST every weekday and close at midnight on
> Friday and Saturday evenings.
>
> And I mean universally closed.  No exclusions and no exceptions.  Like
> last call at a bar.  You can always go home but you can't stay here.
>
> Results:
>
> No more crazy vagrants show up in the late hours to prey upon folks.
> No more crashing at noisebridge by homeless jerkfaces who like to ruin
> a good thing for everyone.
> No more drunks showing up to annoy people.
> No more risk of getting jacked up on your way to the bart / bus / bike
> / hanglider... etc because the sun is not around.
> No impact on the open nature of the space, as when the space is
> available all are welcome.

I'd like to suggest that this does not solve the problem you have
outlined. Perhaps, if anything, it may limit the scope of the problem
but that's not even a certainty. Limiting access to the space will
almost certainly impact the community but I'm unconvinced it will be a
positive impact.

All the best,
Jake