[Noisebridge-discuss] Looking to Help: Technical Communications

Paul Suliin psuliin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 21:44:47 UTC 2012

Hi all!

I went to Circuit Hacking Monday last night, and while I'm not
finished hacking my cat toy I made a good start (along with learning
some basic electronics and soldering). That, combined with other good
Noisebridge experiences, has me wanting to give back somehow.  So I've
been assessing my skills to figure out how I can contribute.

The trick is, I'm strictly a baby hacker. My education is in
biochemistry, so I can help out with anything related to that, but
that doesn't seem to be where most of Noisebridge falls on the tech
spectrum. I'm learning to code, but just baby steps so far, and I'm
certainly not a hardware hacker. But there is one thing that I know I
can do as well or better than most anyone else:

I can write like nobody's business, especially technical writing.
That's how I make my living these days, and for the last 15+ years.

So, I'd like to offer any or all of the following to Noisebridge and
the hacker community at large:

-- Writing and editing for policies, procedures, public
communications, website content, etc. If there's anything that you
need other people to understand clearly or follow precisely, I'm
willing to help. This includes making technical information accessible
to people without the relevant tech background.
-- Developing flyers, posters, pamphlets, white papers, and subject
guides on any technical topic. I can help with all sorts of
communications for the general public, or any time that you need to
get a message across.
-- Seminars/classes on technical communication, from writing better
memos to understanding the work of technical writers that you deal
with professionally.
-- Helping with presentations, either at Noisebridge or elsewhere.

If there's interest in any of this, or other writing-related ideas, let me know!

--
Paul Suliin
Information Research and Technical Writing
psuliin at gmail.com
(510) 504-7884