[Noisebridge-discuss] You Can't Do That at Noisebridge!

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 19:26:30 UTC 2012

On Feb 3, 2012 9:17 AM, "jim" <jim at well.com> wrote:

>    The strong argument against sleeping is that it may
> violate the terms of our lease. It's important to

The fact that it discourages hacking, mentioned upthread, is probably a
stronger argument. We are a diverse group but there is a general disrespect
for the rule of law for its own sake, and lots of understanding about the
need to hack.  Even more important, defending the space's hackworthiness is
easier to rally behind than defending the lease terms.

> distinguish napping from sleeping in that sleeping may
> indicate homelessness and an attempt to live in the space.

Lots of valued members are homeless. We need to be careful to keep from
stigmatizing that, because we are a precious source of internet to that
community.  We will always need to work towards reinforcing and maintaining
community standards about what ways are acceptable for using the space.
This is what Noisebridge does. We stake out 5200 square feet - this space
is for hacking. We commit to defend and maintain it, against external
threats and problems within. We pay the rent so the man doesn't kick us
out. We pay the 'lectricity so we can zap all our things. We tell the
secret service to fuck right off. WE work on interacting with each other,
so we don't IMPLODE!