[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] also [actual action] Re: Cynthia and "Asian" Reference

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 22:08:16 UTC 2012

On Feb 4, 2012, at 2:49 PM, Joshua Juran wrote:

> That was almost certainly deliberate.  It's not appropriate to place a period or comma inside the quotation marks when one didn't occur in the quoted phrase.

It probably was deliberate. Arguably, that makes it more appropriate to point out. "You're a careless typer" is probably not news. "You don't know proper typographical conventions" is likely new information.

> Your teachers and textbooks may have instructed otherwise, but haven't they been wrong before?

I didn't catch them out very often. I do remember telling my physics teacher, I'm pretty sure that's the radioactive source for the cloud chamber, and you probably shouldn't be holding it right next to your face.

My wife had to explain to her elementary school teacher that atoms and molecules were not the same. A co-worker of mine frequently experienced that in high school chemistry. He'd tell the teacher he was wrong. The teacher would point out the textbook agreed. He'd bring in a college level textbook the next day and the teacher would agree that the HS textbook was wrong.

> By the way, ALL of you top-posted, and the meta-grammar-Nazis among you failed to cull useless cruft (to wit, the mailing list footer) from the messages you quoted.

I *hate* the inability to turn on bottom-posting for the iOS mail client. I like it in nearly every other way.

PS: You added an extra space after your first period.