[Noisebridge-discuss] Access control & Safety, both personal and general space.

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 19:07:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Casey Callendrello <c1 at caseyc.net> wrote:
> Before asterisk stopped working, I wrote most of a system that replaced
> gatebot's code with a list of authorized numbers. If you dialed the
> right incantation, and your Caller-ID was on The List, then the door
> would open. Anyone with access to pony could add and remove numbers.

OH shit.  sorry.  I didn't wide-cast the fact that I donated a
Callwithus account number to Noisebridge -- its linked into the red
phone and keeps it ticking... BUT we do not have a DID unless someone
donates one for use again.  Maybe it is worthless to the SMSdoor
project!!

Anyone have a 415 DID to donate to noisebridge?  Anyone have
suggestions or want to work with TelePhreaks.org to see if they can
help us?

> One of the problems of gatebot is that it costs money. Sorry, kids, but
> SIP trunks aren't free. It was fun while it lasted, but I'm not sure
> that phone access is worth any monthly recurring cost.

Well they are nearly Free.  I spent 0.25USD on a 30 minute call from
+049 to +01 last week.

VOIP Is the kind of thing we should be using noisebridge to inform
people about: how to use it & how it works.

The intrinsic cost of calls is so low, why does anyone use phone
networks when they overcharge for voice by 10x and 100x, and for SMS
type messaging when they overcharge by anything from 10x to 10,000x or
more on the real costs?
[LURKERS CORRECT THESE ASSUMPTIONS  :-) ]

-rma