[Noisebridge-discuss] A modest proposal.

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 21:27:28 UTC 2012

On Feb 9, 2012, at 2:06 PM, rachel lyra hospodar wrote:

> I would categorically block any proposal to make noisebridge members
> only after hours. I (like many people) would not be here without the
> openness to awesome people who are not paying money.

I would support only trusted people or people who are supervised by a member in after hours. I don't think that paying dues should be the criteria for determining trust.

I also really like the idea of strangers having to be greeted at the door. I've been sitting near the door and have given a few tours to people - I think that most people would be happy to be greeted and either given a tour or told to find somebody less busy to get a tour from :)

So what I would propose is:
a) Visitors must be greeted
b) "Visitors hours" - whatever they end up being - are the only time when visitors are allowed to wander aimlessly
c) Outside of those hours, only trusted people - member-level trust, whether paying $$$ or not - are allowed in on their own. They may bring guests, but they're expected to be responsible for their guests, keeping an eye on them, working with them on some cool project, etc.
d) Perhaps there is an intermediate access level: You're allowed to buzz yourself in during guest hours, but that's it.

Achieving level (d) would require, say, a couple members saying "this person is cool". NB should hand out business cards with unique QR codes for the access control system. Perhaps a couple visits?

I would also add the ability for NB to be closed - if for some odd reason during visitor hours everybody's gone, then (d) people wouldn't be able to get in.

(d) primarily exists so that people who know the place don't make members get up and offer to give a tour.

Thanks,

gopi.