[Noisebridge-discuss] Upstairs door latch mechanism?

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Sat Feb 11 02:00:04 UTC 2012

Actually, a neat idea would be instead of a wired buzzer buzzing into the
space, a call gets placed to a hunt group consisting of people's phones who
are willing to act as gatekeepers.  It needn't be the responsibility of the
people physically in the space to make this judgement; we've been over a
long list of reasons why people in the space are mostly prone to just
letting people in without asking...

I wonder if we could hook up the door buzzer to #noisebridge...

--S

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Dana S. <dsniezko at sonic.net> wrote:

> Adding my thoughts to this access control discussion...
>
> My apartment building has a phone buzzer. When someone buzzes it calls me,
> to let them in I have to physically pick up my phone, press 1 to open the
> gate. Could something like this work for a buzzer at Noisebridge?
>
> Members and regulars could have keys or key codes, but if someone has
> neither they'd have to call up via intercom/phone, with someone in the
> space answering and pressing a button (or code) to let them in.
>
> I can see some drawbacks to this approach, for one it's more work, but I
> like this idea because it creates an interaction between the person
> upstairs and the person at the door, and it gives an unknown person a
> chance to introduce themselves and their intentions.
>
> - Dana

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700