[Noisebridge-discuss] Upstairs door latch mechanism?

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 19:02:37 UTC 2012

I think Tom has done a really excellent job here of putting his finger on
our failure (transmitting our culture), and on the ways this has helped to
create our current situation.

I am more focused on solutions than blame, in general, and I think that by
describing the ways we have helped to create our current situation we can
start to examine ways to alter how we deal with stuff.  Also, there is the
fact that you cannot change what others do, but you can change the way you
react. We can talk about how our visitors and pet oogles *should* behave,
ad nauseum, or we can talk about how we can respond.

I think that this :

> We're open to any people who want to become part of our distinct micro
society, but if you don't want to become part of Noisebridge's society, you
are not welcome to continue using Noisebridge. The fact that many newcomers
don't know this and aren't aware of our norms and decision-making processes
is our fault. It's our fault for blindly pushing the buzzer and inviting
people in without word or comment, giving the impression that Noisebridge
is a place come and go as you please, and do what you want, without
obligation.

Is something we should all chew on. Is this consistent with the way most of
us view the culture of noisebridge? It resonates for me, and still welcomes
people like Elijah, who won't even true my damn bike wheel, that freeloader!

We spend a lot of time on this list throwing out various solutions "people
should..." or "everyone needs to..." and it's not really ever going to work
quite like that. BUT there is a way for us to change the way our culture
expresses itself. It's not as easy as just saying "everyone do this". It's
a combination of tactics. We need to reach agreements together about how to
approach the cultural shift, and while those discussions can feel tedious
when they take place in person, *having them* in the space lets people who
are on the periphery hear more about what our culture and expectations are,
as well as helping us to find the misunderstandings and mismatched
expectations amongst ourselves.  We can also implement technical solutions!
The discussion-based groundwork should come first though, if we want to
find a technical solution that is a best fit to our community standards.

R.

mediumreality.com
On Feb 13, 2012 6:45 PM, "Tom L" <lists at flamsmark.com> wrote:

> Do not let someone into Noisebridge unless you are comfortable taking
responsibility for their actions. This means that you should only let in
someone you know and trust, unless you are willing to take the time to
introduce yourself to them and them to Noisebridge, give them a tour, and
teach them about our ways.

> Anyone is welcome to become part of the Noisebridge community. This does
not mean that everyone is welcome to come in at any time and do any thing,
especially if their actions make the space less hospitable for others.
There are some obvious sorts of actions that are unacceptable in any social
space but few people act like that, and they are swiftly removed. The more
general source of entropy is folks who aren't sufficiently introduced to
Noisebridge, and don't understand what we're for.

> We're open to any people who want to become part of our distinct micro
society, but if you don't want to become part of Noisebridge's society, you
are not welcome to continue using Noisebridge. The fact that many newcomers
don't know this and aren't aware of our norms and decision-making processes
is our fault. It's our fault for blindly pushing the buzzer and inviting
people in without word or comment, giving the impression that Noisebridge
is a place come and go as you please, and do what you want, without
obligation.

> This is not about trying to classify people into certain categories of
desirable and undesirable based on how they look, it's about asking
everyone to Be Excellent. Excellence is not a low bar; it is not merely the
absence of living at Noisebridge, and resisting the ongoing urge to harm
your fellow hacker. Excellence is treating Noisebridge as something to be
treasured, working to be part of our community, and doing great things here.

> If you silently open the door without teaching a newcomer how much you
care for Noisebridge, and how incredibly important to you personally it it
that they Be Excellent here, you are harming Noisebridge, and that is not
Excellent, it's far, far from it.