[Noisebridge-discuss] banning "Occupy"

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 22:16:38 UTC 2012

Fact: a number of annoying non-hackers are semi-living at the space,
and have stated to me their belief they are entitled to do this
because of Occupy. I have invited some of these folks to tonight's
meeting so they can get on the same page as the rest of Noisebridge.
Rachel, I would appreciate it if you could personally disabuse them of
this notion and explain the purpose of a hacker space, since you "talk
their language".

Fact: s/Occupy/Tastebridge/

Live long and prosper.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 4:40 PM, rachel lyra hospodar
<rachelyra at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> and the directions I suggest.
>
> An approach to problem solving that happens on this list all the time, that
> I see you modeling here, is sort of problematic. You are stating a
> prescriptive solution to a communal problem, and then creating a conceptual
> framework where what you have proposed is a communal solution.  Individuals
> who make proposals should be ready to have their ideas incorporated into a
> giant meta-idea that is made by synthesizing EVERYONE's ideas, not just one
> person's...unless there is natural and automatic support for that one idea.
> You know what's harder than having an idea? Working out an idea that
> everyone agrees to. You know what would create the sense of community
> support you are seeking? Working out an idea that everyone agrees to.
>
> This particular idea is actually, to my mind, counterproductive, because it
> creates a false sense of permanent solution to a problem that is in fact
> perennial.  Also, it creates guidelines that we are committing to
> selectively follow. Like the sit/lie law. Which is lame.
>
> Also the occupy website team meets at noisebridge, and anyone who doesn't
> like it can go suck an egg.
>
> Love you jake!
>
> <3
> R.
>
> mediumreality.com
>
> On Feb 14, 2012 1:10 PM, "Jake" <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>>
>> I look forward to hearing your suggestions on ways of dealing with the
>> problems.
>>
>> I still think my idea is great but i am disappointed that more people
>> don't understand how it works.  If people belong at noisebridge they will
>> not be at all discouraged by our policy of No Occupy Allowed.
>>
>> What's the first rule of fight club?  Same thing with occupy.  If you meet
>> buddha on the road, kill him.  If someone comes to noisebridge and says
>> they're "from occupy" kill them.  If they are there to hack, instead of
>> killing them you can encourage them to drop the "occupy" tagline because we
>> have trauma associated with that.
>>
>> You said yourself that we need to meet these challenges with hackerlike
>> creativity.  I think that if everyone who is being a dick is also
>> identifying as being "from occupy" then a simple solution is to "ban
>> occupy".
>>
>> and that is step one toward uniting out community to back each other up
>> onto a mutually-agreed concept.
>>
>> -jake
>>
>>> Jake, I think this suggestion stinks. I am surprised you even made it.
>>> That
>>> guy was being a jerk, which is already not allowed. Why attempt to bar a
>>> highly relevant political movement, which you support, instead of just
>>> telling dicks to stop being dicks?
>>>
>>> I think a lot of what people are seeking in these various conflict
>>> situations, is a sense of the community backing you up.
>>>
>>> Dude.
>>>
>>> It backs you up when someone is being lousy, regardless of whether they
>>> from Free School or Occupy or whatever scruffy group of people find us
>>> next.  Banning Free School wouldn't have saved us from Occupy, and