[Noisebridge-discuss] Can Someone Help Me with My MBR?

Chrysanthemum Hyphus c at hyph.us
Mon Jan 16 19:11:26 UTC 2012

Hello Noisebridge,

I corrupted my master boot record on my Windows 7 laptop while trying to
uninstall Wubi before doing a proper install of Linux, so it will not boot
at all. I would like to non-destructively repartition my hard drive to
create a new partition for Linux, which has not been done yet. I have all
of my data on a separate partition from Windows, but I'm hoping to keep the
programs and any configuration data on the Windows OS partition intact.

Does anyone have a bootable flash drive or bootable DVD with a utility to
at least fix the MBR without disturbing any of the data that currently
exists on it? A program that will do a nondestructive partition would be
awesome. If so, let me know when I could meet you at Noisebridge, perhaps
this Thursday afternoon if not sooner.

Thanks,
--Chrysanthemum

Nations are never conscious of all the riches they possess in the matter of
knaves.
--Victor Hugo, *Napoleon the Little*