[Noisebridge-discuss] Jan 29 event: discussion of Graeber's "Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology"

Martin MacKerel martin.mackerel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 06:07:57 UTC 2012

Hello, Noisebridge!

David Graeber is given some credit for starting Occupy Wall Street and
has written a great book, _Debt: The First 5000 Years_, which I highly
recommend. He's also in town this week, at City Lights on Thursday and
at CIIS on Monday

A few years ago he wrote a pamphlet titled "Fragments of an Anarchist
Anthropology". I know you are already intrigued.

Here is the text: http://ramshackleglory.com/paradigm14.pdf

It's about 100 pages, but they are small, and it is a fairly
straight-forward read.

I met with a group of 17 or 18 people last week to discuss this, but
the discussion devolved into shooting the shit about general anarchist
politics over beer.

So, for this meeting:

Please do do the reading if you plan to attend. As you read the text,
please note 2 or 3 or more questions or points of interest. We can
gather them all, and then split up into groups of 2-6 people to
discuss related groupings, coming together again to share the results
of our discussion.

Afterwards, we can lapse into shooting the shit over beer.

Cheers,
Martin

PS Many of the planned attendees will participate in Move-in Day at
Occupy Oakland:
http://occupyoakland.org/2012/01/occupy-oakland-plans-mass-takeover-of-vacant-building/
So there's a slight possibility we'll be in jail. Make of that what you will.