[Noisebridge-discuss] New Years Resolution: keep the Internet safe for free speech?

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Tue Jan 3 04:02:06 UTC 2012

I'd like to add that a Tor node with a posse will be a lot easier to defend
in the event that such rights are tested.

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Ben Kochie <superq at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 15:46, John Adams <jna at retina.net> wrote:
> > I love Tor and Noisebridge with every bit of my heart, but to ask
> someone to
> > donate $50 or $100 / month for a recurring pledge, you are basically
> telling
> > me: "Hey, how about you go co-locate a server in a data center and run a
> Tor
> > node?"
>
> And this is exactly what Noisetor is doing.  Except by pooling a bit
> of resources we get a lot more for the money than a single person
> hosting a machine.  Right now we have a single node, but we're pushing
> half a gigabit of traffic.  Eventually we hope to get enough recurring
> donations to add more of this kind of node.
>
> > It's approximately the same price to do so and add to the viability of
> Tor.
> > Not only that, by having disparate nodes, it reduces the
> > single-point-of-failure issue by having all the monies in a single node.
> >
> > Who's got $1200/year to donate to this? No one.
>
> Lots of people do have this.  We had single donations of hundreds of
> dollars in December.  But even if you don't we'll gladly accept any
> amount of recurring or non-recurring donation.
>
> Maybe Aestetix should have started a little lower on the request, but
> you don't have to be a jerk about it.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>