[Noisebridge-discuss] New Years Resolution: keep the Internet safe for free speech?

Ben Kochie superq at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 03:29:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 15:46, John Adams <jna at retina.net> wrote:
> I love Tor and Noisebridge with every bit of my heart, but to ask someone to
> donate $50 or $100 / month for a recurring pledge, you are basically telling
> me: "Hey, how about you go co-locate a server in a data center and run a Tor
> node?"

And this is exactly what Noisetor is doing.  Except by pooling a bit
of resources we get a lot more for the money than a single person
hosting a machine.  Right now we have a single node, but we're pushing
half a gigabit of traffic.  Eventually we hope to get enough recurring
donations to add more of this kind of node.

> It's approximately the same price to do so and add to the viability of Tor.
> Not only that, by having disparate nodes, it reduces the
> single-point-of-failure issue by having all the monies in a single node.
>
> Who's got $1200/year to donate to this? No one.

Lots of people do have this.  We had single donations of hundreds of
dollars in December.  But even if you don't we'll gladly accept any
amount of recurring or non-recurring donation.

Maybe Aestetix should have started a little lower on the request, but
you don't have to be a jerk about it.