[Noisebridge-discuss] Hardware donation?

jim jim at well.com
Tue Jan 3 20:03:25 UTC 2012

    Now two meanings occur to me: "old stuff should never be
recycled" (paraphrased) may mean either
* don't put that toxic stuff in landfills
* that old stuff is useful, keep using it.

    my mention of components refers to power supplies, memory,
hard drives....
    for example, a few years ago i had to find an IDE hard
drive for an old machine that sat in a closet and hosted the
company email server; it was difficult to find one, most
places no longer carried such; i found a computer store that
had a used one for sale (Actnet computer on Judah at 27th Ave,
a place I like a lot 'cause they've got good expertise).

    i suppose "recycling" can mean
* any way of reusing something, including melting parts of
  it down.
* reusing whatever it is as it is, i.e. retaining its
  functionality.