[Noisebridge-discuss] Declining board nomination

Al Billings abillings at mozilla.com
Thu Jan 5 23:06:33 UTC 2012

On 7/22/64 12:06 PM, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> Tom wrote, On 2012-01-04 22:09:
>> I have not (yet) developed the ability to read Rubin's mind (also: eew),
>> but I'll take my best shot. My guess is that he's concerned about unchecked
>> power. If the board/president can block, then it is impossible for the
>> membership ever to take action to reign in the actions of a (hypothetical)
>> evil and power-hungry oligarchy. Any proposal that the membership makes to
>> try and hinder or stop the awesome power of that fully armed and
>> operational board/president could simply be blocked by those same evil
>> geniuses. In short: it's a trap.
> Bingo. I suggested this during our initial board selection process years
> ago and not a single person was in support of the idea, so I dropped it.
>
> With that being said, how often I voice out against consensus items, and
> how I would happily dance in the smouldering rubbly remains of what once
> was Noisebridge, naked covered in (Tofurky fake) goats blood, for the
> greater good of the community I would much rather not run for a position
> I see flawed than to hack my way into ruling the space with an iron fist
> (marinating inside of a latex glove slathered with petroleum jelly,
> though it was just recommended now I should use a sock puppet and a tiny
> muppet voice in order to display my dominance when speaking to "lesser"
> members).
>
> As I write this in Berlin, I look out the window of Astera's home (and
> in the wrong direction) towards Oakland, and wonder how Ace Monster Toys
> is doing.

We seem to be fine. :-)

We're at about 30 members. We elected our second board last June, which
appoints our president, secretary, and treasurer to serve at the board's
whim (or until they get sick of it and quit). Our board meets monthly
(when it remembers) but doesn't have to do much normally beyond
occasional paperwork. Day to day, the president is basically in charge
but that doesn't mean much as long as bills get paid by the treasurer
and the secretary handles paperwork. We've had very little drama since
almost a year ago. Overall, we gain a two or three members every month
and lose a member or two every couple of months.

 Is that what you wanted to know?

Al