[Noisebridge-discuss] Declining board nomination

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Wed Jan 4 21:30:31 UTC 2012

Tom wrote, On 2012-01-04 22:09:
> I have not (yet) developed the ability to read Rubin's mind (also: eew),
> but I'll take my best shot. My guess is that he's concerned about unchecked
> power. If the board/president can block, then it is impossible for the
> membership ever to take action to reign in the actions of a (hypothetical)
> evil and power-hungry oligarchy. Any proposal that the membership makes to
> try and hinder or stop the awesome power of that fully armed and
> operational board/president could simply be blocked by those same evil
> geniuses. In short: it's a trap.

Bingo. I suggested this during our initial board selection process years
ago and not a single person was in support of the idea, so I dropped it.

With that being said, how often I voice out against consensus items, and
how I would happily dance in the smouldering rubbly remains of what once
was Noisebridge, naked covered in (Tofurky fake) goats blood, for the
greater good of the community I would much rather not run for a position
I see flawed than to hack my way into ruling the space with an iron fist
(marinating inside of a latex glove slathered with petroleum jelly,
though it was just recommended now I should use a sock puppet and a tiny
muppet voice in order to display my dominance when speaking to "lesser"
members).

As I write this in Berlin, I look out the window of Astera's home (and
in the wrong direction) towards Oakland, and wonder how Ace Monster Toys
is doing.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net