[Noisebridge-discuss] This non-free social networking for Occupy = not hacker friendly ????

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 02:52:44 UTC 2012

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva <
> pitanga at members.fsf.org> wrote:
>
>> On 5 January 2012 12:59, Corey McGuire <coreyfro at coreyfro.com> wrote:
>> > I think the point isn't occupy being hacker friendly.  That's
>> irrelevant.
>> > The point is, "do we want some body of people having control over
>> occupy's
>> > data?"  To which, the answer is, "Hackers can save the day."
>> >

> HELLO , corporations are not people.

> > My question is, is this sight run on occupii's own hardware or at least
>> own
>> > data structure.  So long as their database is their own and can be
>> archived
>> > to their heart's content, what ever solution works is fine.
>>
>> definitely Not.  Ning is a corporate controlled cloud service.  All the
hardware that runs the software and stores the data exists on Ning's
servers. And that is only run by Ning, it is owned by this parent
corporation Glam Media.

If they don't have control over the software and hardware, the
>> database being their own (whatever this means) or not is irrelevant.
>> Well, then they don't control the network. We're doomed =P
>>
>> A friend pointed out to me, this Occupii site may represent only a small
portion of the movement, that is some local / regional group has started
this and who knows at this point whether most Ocuppy people would support
it.