[Noisebridge-discuss] Question about 501(c)(3) status ....

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Tue Jan 17 01:16:45 UTC 2012

The benefits of being a 501c3 are, in no particular order:

* It's a sign of being a "real" organization in the non-profit world, as
opposed to just a bunch of guys doing a hobby.  It means people take you
rmore seriously.
* Donations to the org are tax-deductable; this means that
* Corporations that have policies about charitable donations can treat you
as a charity and give you money and stuff
* It makes it easier (possible!) to apply for grants for Cool Projects

I'm probably leaving out some.

--S

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Rob <pabutusa at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I'm part of a "newly rejuvenated" Amateur Radio group in New Jersey the
>  "Penn-Jersey Amateur Radio Club"
>
>  At a recent meeting someone brought up the topic of going for 501(c)(3)
>  status ..... while it sounds interesting I'm not sure if it's worth the
>  effort???
>
>  What are the benefits ???? Why did NOISEBRIDGE do it ???
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  --> Rob Roschewsk (ka2pbt)

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700