[Noisebridge-discuss] Just say no to SOPA

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 01:56:25 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Stefano Maffulli <smaffulli at gmail.com> wrote:
> And knowing RMS I find it very unlikely that he
> may have thought that the patent system can be hacked the same way he hacked
> the copyright laws.

There is no fundamental reason why the patent system can't be hacked.
RMS made a statement questioning "patentlefting" on the grounds that
patents are "expensive" to obtain, leaving open the possibility that
if they were as cheap and easy as copyrights then patentlefting could
work. Obviously he decided to use copylefting for the GNU project
instead.

http://wiki.ohanda.org/index.php/FAQ#Why_can.27t_we_just_use_any_copyleft_license.3F
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patentleft
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CC_Public_Patent_License