[Noisebridge-discuss] Anti SOPA/PIPA Rally in SF during Internet Strike Day Tomorrow

Snail snailtsunami at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 22:56:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Tony Longshanks LeTigre <
anthonyletigre at gmail.com> wrote:

> On a tangentially related note, question about copyright: if you reproduce
> copyrighted material without permission, but with no intention of making
> money, & without making any money, is it still illegal? I suppose so, but
> I'm not sure.

The answer may be yes or no, depending on the copyright license. The
copyright holder may choose any license or only grant permission on a
case-by-case basis entirely at their discretion.

In cases of multiple copyright holders or derivative work, the holder's
licensing abilities may be more restricted or predetermined by the original
holder.

Keywords for further reading, especially if you are an artist: copyright
license, Creative Commons, GNU license, fair use, viral license.

General Rule of Thumb: If you aren't sure if you have permission to
reproduce material, you probably don't have it.

--
-Snailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnailssnails