[Noisebridge-discuss] Drill Press (keyless chuck)

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Mon Jul 16 21:51:10 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I finally got around to looking into the drill press chuck issue. As
far as I can tell, the best option at this point would be to replace
the chuck -- the damage to its internal taper is not easy to fix, and
this is an opportunity to install a keyless chuck (more convenient and
safer, no accidentally leaving a chuck key in when spinning up).

Keyless chucks can be had for around $78 - $300 depending on the
desired precision and quality. I think we can find something
reasonable for under $100. I'm kinda not wanting to spend that right
now, but if anyone else is interested in chipping in I'm willing
to throw $20 towards the purchase of a new chuck. If you'd like to
participate in this stage of drill press renewal, please respond
either on list or to me personally. If there's interest, I could stop
by the meeting tomorrow to coordinate funding & purchase.

Thanks,

John

* John Magolske <listmail at b79.net> [120624 15:03]:

--